Sunday, April 09, 2006

Summer of '69

By Bryan Adams

I got my first real six-string
Bought it at the five-and-dime
Played it till my fingers bled
It was the summer of ’69

Me and some guys from school
Had a band and we tried real hard
Jimmy quit and Jody got married
I shoulda known we’d never get far
Oh when I look back now
That summer seemed to last forever
And if I had the choice
Yeah- I’d always wanna be there
Those were the best days of my life

Ain’t no use in complainin’
When you got a job to do
Spent my evenin’s down at the drive-in
And that’s when I met you

Standin’ on your mama’s porch
You told me that you’d wait forever
Oh and when you held my hand
I knew that it was now or never
Those were the best days of my life

Oh yeah, Back in the summer of ’69

Man we were killin’ time
We were young and restless
We needed to unwind
I guess nothin’ can last forever - forever, no

And now the times are changin’
Look at everything that’s come and gone
Sometimes when I play that old six-string
I think about ya wonder what went wrong

Standin’ on your mama’s porch
You told me it would last forever
Oh the way you held my hand
I knew that it was now or never
Those were the best days of my life

Back in the summer of ’69


This man is the single handed reason why I still have a stereo with a cassette deck--I have his "INTO THE FIRE" tape...which I think is on its last leg, because I got it circa 1991. I really do need to get his "Anthology", (I think it makes a good, "GETTING A JOB" gift to myself) because well, he's in my top 5 favorite singers of all times. His video for this song is even on my BEBO site...I look at that page a lot, needless to say. But, anyway, I digress from what I really wanted to say.

I've realized in my 25 years of life, this past year has probably been the best of my adult life, and if I had to choose a time in my life that I had to live in forever, it would be right now. FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC friends, an awesome boyfriend, and indepedence (which I really need to give kudos to Jeff about, because he's very tolerant of my bar-escapades).

Last night we saw 40+-year-old drunk women bumping and grinding with each other on the dance floor, and I realized that that's going to be me with Dana, Justin and Jess in 15 years. There is no way in hell I can lose these friends, because they bring out my dorkiness in cool ways and play up to my outgoing side...which brings out my wildside.

Sometimes I think that when I move down to Omaha next moneth I'll have no one to out with, because I don't know anyone there who likes to go out to see local bands at really cheap bars. I also know that one quick phone call to my friends and a quick 2 1/4 hour drive will bring me home. I feel most at home here in college town with my friends. Like I said before, if I could I would live in this moment forever--wouldn't it be nice if we could be like The Simpsons? Ageless--isn't that what most women want anyway?!

I kind of worry about my *future* wedding reception, because I have a feeling there may be grandparents, parents and young children who may have to go home before the dancing starts, as is the indication from the part of the story I left off last night (er, early this morning).

***
The Lesbian Bump and Grind (B&G) Story

I had to stay perfectly sober last night, which wasn't a problem until around 9:00 when Josh's band came out and Dana and Nicoal decided that WE had to dance in the front, because no one else was (Josh's band isn't well known). Sober Sunshine and dancing do not mix well, but, hey, I like to shake my boot-ay, so I went up. We were the only 3 dancing for like 3 songs, while everyone else is behind us. Josh's band take a break, and finally other people come up and dance. Soon there are 30 people or so on the dance floor--not a problem at all, because we're having fun doing the usual B&G with each other. Some idiot drunk guys try to get in between the three of us. Unfortunately, they succeed, and I'm holding onto Dana for dear life, while trying to get this asshole off of me, when I finally decided that using a tae kwon do move will help, and I pull back with my right arm really hard, so that I knock the jackass away (Thanks Mr. Lapesh and Mr. Ahrendt for teaching me that one).

By this time, I was tired of drunk guys and as DD I got free soda, so Dana (who was crushing on the asshole bartender) went with me to get a Diet Coke. Two women were macking on each other at the bar and some old redneck (around 45ish) is watching them with eyes-wide-fucking-open. The redneck elbows his friends and is wondering if what he's seeing is real. I roll my eyes, because seriously, anyone who has spent time in a bar has seen women kissing--even this does not phase me anymore. I see it, I move on.

Until I hit the dance floor an hour or two later, that is. I was dancing with my girls, because by this time our friend Mindy has arrived. The next thing I know is that the girls who were macking on each other from the bar are on my right side b&ging with each other. Fine, whatever, I move over a little bit. Like I said, I don't mind doing that with my friends, but, people I don't know is another story--er at least I have to be drunk. A really good song is playing, and I have one hand on my Diet Coke and the other pumping the air with my index finger pointed (shut up, I know it sounds dumb, but we all do that). I then am bombarded by the two women who basically dry hump my right side! I couldn't figure out what was going on at first...I was dazed a bit, but hey, I was still dancing. THEN, I look over and they have this really wierd and wild look on their faces. This is a new predicament for me. I've never had this problem before of two women-with whom I don't know-trying to dance with me. I guess I know a lot of the people here in college town, so I dance with almost everyone at the bars. (It's kind of sad that I don't even get carded by bouncers when I go into the bars here in college town anymore.) I panic. WHAT DO I DO? I dance for a minute. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. I've got two women on my right side, I don't know them. I'm not comfortable with these dancing partners. WHAT DO I DO? After considering options of doing nothing or finding refuge, I move up to Dana and dance with her.

Sober Sunshine has limits as to what she will and will not do. Drunk Sunshine has limits as to what she will and will not do. Sunshine doesn't b&g with women she doesn't know or a friend don't know. I think they got the point after seeing me and Dana, because they didn't come around us anymore.

Sunshine-1
Lesbian Bump & Grinders-0 (ok, maybe they get 1/2 for freaking me out a bit.)

No comments: