I Miss the Good Old Days...
I've been thinking a lot lately about my undergraduate college, DC. I often wear my undergrad. sweatshirts and t-shirts around campus here, and always have my DC pin on my back pack. Everytime I look at it, I know that the reason I'm here in grad. school is because of how well I did at DC--which makes me very proud!
Most of you don't know this, but the school I call my undergraduate college was actually one that I transferred into my junior year. My freshman and sophomore years of college were spent in a stuffy, mediocre, snob-infested, but very expensive university in north west Iowa, BU. I hated every moment that I spent there. Well, I take that back, every moment but the friends and few faculty who were worth a good-ounce-of-goose-shit. Most people at BU were there to party, and I was there to learn--and once-in-a-while party.
During my freshman year my boyfriend during that time in my life (who is known as Freak-Boy) tried to convince me to transfer down to the college he was at, DC, even though we hadn't been dating long. I didn't do it. Instead, I waited until J-Term of my sophomore year to go down to DC and take a course from an English professor. The professors at BU knew I wasn't coming back to BU my junior year, because I had tasted what it was like to actually be challenged for my grades--AND I LOVED IT. Needless to say, I transferred to DC the fall of my junior year, and NEVER looked back.
I don't regret my decision.
Not one single bit.
See, without all of this, I wouldn't know what it was like to be challenged to use your brain. I wouldn't have been so well prepared for graduate school, and I wouldn't have met such great people.
As soon as I got to DC, they needed a newspaper editor. I jumped at the chance, because I wanted to be invovled in an activity, and since I was new on campus, I could meet new people.
I don't regret my decision.
Not one single bit.
I met some fantastic people in the newspaper office, and we were bascially all English majors, so we spent a lot of time together. And, am I'm guessing you already know this, but I met Bubs through the newspaper office. I was the editor-in-chief, he was my assistant editor (we flip-flopped positions the next year).
I also joined Tae Kwon Do and learned a lot of self-defense moves. The 8 months I spent in TKD were some of the happiest-butt-kicking times of my life.
Even though Freak-Boy and I broke up after my junior year, I was never so happy to be down at DC. For the first time in my life I felt like I fit in, like I had a home--like I had friends who would stay with me through thick-and-thin.
I now often think of DC and wish to be there again--maybe not as a student, but I would love to teach there someday--the nostalgia reels me back in.
No comments:
Post a Comment