Wednesday, March 17, 2004

St. Patrick's Day
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The day started for me at 4 a.m. Sometimes I just hate going to the doctor! Ugh! But, I did find out that they are going to try an arthritis medication on me to stop the RSD. Hopefully, I will be pain free in no time!

And as for St. Patty's day... well I got bitch pinched by Donkey (my 21-year-old brother) when I stopped at his apartment after my appointment at the hospital. He was like... I can't see green on you, and I was like... did you look at my socks to see that I have green turtles on them? According to Donkey, socks don't count. But, hey, the green and pink hospital gown counted, too, right?!

Today always reminds me of my grandpa, God rest his soul, as he was 100% Irish, and loved to flaunt it. Although he was my step-grandpa, he was the only grandpa I knew (my paternal grandfather died when I was 3 or 4, and my mother's father is an asshole, whom we don't claim). Grandpa was the kindest man I've ever known. He didn't care what your name was, how much money you made, what you looked like, or what you talked like, he always thought the world of you. He taught us tolerance, and taught us to enlighten our lives. He taught us to be fighters (like him, as he survived 2 or 3 major heart attacks) and to be lovers at the same time.

Grandpa was a man of many layers. Working as a farmer, you would never guess that he liked going to the theatre...or reading poetry, but he loved it. One of my fondest memories was when we were down at his and grandma's place in Arizona...must have been 2nd grade... and we each took a part of the play I was reading and we acted it out.

We always knew Grandpa was a kid at heart... he loved to joke around, and laugh. There was always laughter when he was around... and still is when we talk about him. When he died in July of 2002, I think a little part of each one of his 37 grandkids went with him.

Anyway... what else got me thinking about him, was the fact I was told I was looking sad today. WELL, HELLO--I was om the hospital today and was tired! Can't I be sad once? Everyone has always told me how stong I am, and how I always have a smile on my face, especially when the worst things have happened to me. But, then again, I've always been told laughter is the best medicine.

I don't remember where I was going with this... oh well... you may now see how my brain works...

OH! I did find out even though it's past due, I can still send in my TA application... they may take it late!

No comments: