Saturday, January 17, 2004

Time Moves Fast When You're Not Watching the Clock
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My free weekends just fly by, and I think I know why--I'm not watching the clock! Today went incredibly fast as Brother #1 called me at 7:55 and told me to get my ass out of bed, because he was moving today and I was supposed to be in Sioux City in an hour. Well, I was just leaving my house an hour later and it takes about 45-55 minutes to get there! Oopsie Daisy!

Anyway, I make it down to Sioux City, late, so I have to go on the Outer Drive exit-- a scary part of S.C. that I've never been in--while getting directions on the cell from my brother. I somehow end up right behind my parents and get to his old apartment fine. Well, we load up everything, and as it's a family affair, the five of us and B#1's girl friend all head over to his new place to unpack and for some lunch. While at his new place, Brother #2 and B#1'sGF decide to watch TV, and what's on? That stupid Jessica Simpson and Nick Lechey (sp?) marriage show on MTV. I swear, Jessica has got to be the most whinny, dumb broad I have ever seen. Since we were watching the tube, and not doing work, Brother #2 and I end up going over to the mall, since it's less than a mile from Brother #1's apartment.

I spent $80 in the first 1/2 hour I was there. $40 on CD's (Martina McBride's "Martina" and JoDee Messina's "Greatest Hits"-- I recommend them both!) and $40 on books! Walden's Book Store is going out of business, and it's my favorite "Mom and Pop" bookstore in Sioux City. Guess I'll have to start going to Barnes and Noble (if it ever opens--it's been on fire how many times now?) since I hate B. Dalton's. Anyway, I got 7 classics- 6 British (my favorite!) and 1 American, and lucky me got a classic at Wal-Mart the other day for 88 cents! It was so funny because I bought two Virginia Wolfe novels and the lady behind the counter was like, "You like classics--have you ever seen The Hours?" And I said, "I'm an English teacher!" So, the other cashier had to get involved in the conversation and we're all talking about classic novels and the other people in line are like--WTF?! I guess you had to be there, but it was funny!

Well, when Bro#2 and I went back to Bro#1's we talked them into going over to the mall since it was sidewalk sale day. We looked at Aeropostale fleeces, as they were on sale for $7, and Mom was feeling generous after I helped out all day, so she bought me one. By this time it was like 8 p.m., so I went past Oak and More to see if that hot 40-year-old was working, but alas, he wasn't. So, I went to Hy-Vee to get gas and headed home. I couldn't believe how fast the day had gone, especially considering I was with family!

No comments: