Sunday, January 29, 2006

The Day I Became Serious

School has always been something that was easy for me. Even though, I, on occasion, bitch about classes and/or professors, I love school. This hasn't even been so apparent to me since I started my masters program at the U. I've always been one of the students who did their work, but was considered laid back, because I'm not exactly aggressive and you'd have better luck finding me at the bar on a weeknight than you would at the library.

But, I guess that image is shot to hell.

Apparently, I'm now considered a serious student of English, because I was just accepted for my first panel at a conference. I was talked into sending in my papers, because the lead panelist is one of my many best friends, and she thought it sounded fun--I sort-of figured we wouldn't make the cut. Anyway, my panel and I submitted two topics, one on the politics of patriarchal power in Shakespeare's comedies and the other on authoritative control of women in Medieval writing. I'm not sure which one, or if both were accepted, but our lead panelist says we're going up to the conference...which is 4 hours away in F-A-R-G-O, ND.

The next time I let someone talk me into traveling away for something related to school, it had better be to somewhere warm, involve a lot of alcoholic drinks and the words, "Spring Break."

No comments: